Podcast Episode #551
Almost every pastor has had to deal with being fired—often for little to no reason. Today, we discuss a recent post on the topic and explain it further.
Some highlights from today’s episode include:
- Too many pastors are fired without being told why.
- Often, pastors who are forced out for little to no reason look back on the situation and wish they had fought it a bit more.
- Sometimes the way a pastor is treated can affect their spouse and kids and turn them away from the church.
- The corporate world is often more gracious with severance than the church world.
The 10 responses that we discuss are:
- “I didn’t see it coming.”
- “No one gave me a reason for my firing.”
- “No one asked for my perspective.”
- “A power group pushed me out.”
- “A staff member (or members) pushed me out.”
- “My family is devastated.”
- “The severance was small.”
- “I can never return to pastoral ministry.”
- “I should have never followed a long-term pastor.”
- “Secular employers are kinder and show more grace.”
Resources mentioned in today’s podcast
Rainer on Leadership is a member of the LifeWay Leadership Podcast Network
The mission at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary is to glorify the Lord Jesus Christ by equipping students to serve the church and fulfill the Great Commission. The school offers more than 40 different degree programs, including the new Master of Arts in Church Revitalization in partnership with Church Answers and the Revitalization Network. This 37-hour degree is designed to help students move established churches from flatlining to flourishing.
Learn about this program and more by visiting sebts.edu. Where are you going? Southeastern will help you get there.
Vanderbloemen has 12 Vanderbloemen Differences that allow them to serve their clients better than anyone else. One of those is Theology Matters. Vanderbloemen’s staff has more seminary and theological experience than any other search firm with 250+ collective years of church leadership experience.
To learn more about all 12 of Vanderbloemen’s Differences, visit VanderDifference.com.
If you have a question you would like answered on the show, fill out the form on the podcast page here at ThomRainer.com. If we use your question, you’ll receive a free copy of Becoming a Welcoming Church.