Podcast Episode #505
We are starting to see more and more churches offer alternative worship service times. Today we discuss the when, where, and how of this trend.
Some highlights from today’s episode include:
- Sunday has become less and less sacred in our culture. To many, it’s just another day of the week with no significance.
- Duplicating your Sunday morning service on Sunday evening is often the easiest way to add another worship service option for those in the community.
- Many of our scheduling norms in churches is a holdover from times when U.S. was an agrarian society.
- Alternative worship gatherings allow you to train up more leaders in your church.
The nine points we discuss are:
- The number of Americans working on Sunday is growing
- Theological issues must be settled
- Re-purpose Sunday night
- Do a community survey
- Try at test service of six months
- Use alternative services as equipping stations for leaders
- Keep it simple
- “Multi” is they key word today: multi-site; multi-venue; multi-days
- Staff these services wisely
Resources mentioned in today’s podcast
The ministry landscape is changing, and the need for biblical training is more necessary than ever. It’s time to get your Master of Divinity degree. The M.Div —Midwestern Seminary’s flagship degree program — is the primary track for ministry preparation. At just 81 hours, the Midwestern M.Div offers a complete foundation for full-time ministry leaders, offering everything you need, and nothing you don’t. Join other students in vibrant Kansas City as you train in a unique collaborative environment focused on the local church or study online in your current ministry context. Midwestern Seminary is developing a discipleship culture devoted to the local church and committed to God’s unchanging Word. Why not start your training today?
Find out more at mbts.edu/mdiv.
Vanderbloemen Search Group is the premier pastor search firm dedicated to helping churches and ministries build great teams. They’ve helped thousands of churches just like yours find their church staff and are uniquely geared to help you discern who God is calling to lead your church.
For more information, visit WeStaffTheChurch.com.
If you have a question you would like answered on the show, fill out the form on the podcast page here at ThomRainer.com. If we use your question, you’ll receive a free copy of Becoming a Welcoming Church.