Podcast Episode #465
Discipleship is something churches say they do, but also something they don’t always really understand. Today we explain why.
Some highlights from today’s episode include:
- Too many church leaders either don’t under stand discipleship or don’t understand how to make it effective in the local church.
- How we do discipleship is often more confusing that what we do for discipleship.
- Discipleship is an ongoing process, not something that is finished when we complete a study.
- Church membership does not equal discipleship, but church attendance sure does affect it.
- Just because you are going to church, doesn’t mean you are growing at church.
The seven reasons that we discuss today are:
- Lack of clear definition of discipleship
- Failure to see discipleship as a process
- Amount of time invested in the worship services
- The wide-open back door
- Failure to connect groups to discipleship
- Creating the false dichotomy of evangelism and discipleship
- Failure to emphasize daily Bible reading
The ministry landscape is changing, and the need for biblical training is more necessary than ever. It’s time to get your Master of Divinity degree. The M.Div —Midwestern Seminary’s flagship degree program — is the primary track for ministry preparation. At just 81 hours, the Midwestern M.Div offers a complete foundation for full-time ministry leaders, offering everything you need, and nothing you don’t. Join other students in vibrant Kansas City as you train in a unique collaborative environment focused on the local church or study online in your current ministry context. Midwestern Seminary is developing a discipleship culture devoted to the local church and committed to God’s unchanging Word. Why not start your training today?
Find out more at mbts.edu/mdiv.
Vanderbloemen Search Group is the premier pastor search firm dedicated to helping churches and ministries build great teams. They’ve helped thousands of churches just like yours find their church staff and are uniquely geared to help you discern who God is calling to lead your church.
For more information, visit WeStaffTheChurch.com.
If you have a question you would like answered on the show, fill out the form on the podcast page here at ThomRainer.com. If we use your question, you’ll receive a free copy of Becoming a Welcoming Church.