SUBSCRIBE TODAY: iTunes • RSS • Stitcher • TuneIn Radio • Google Play
A core component of revitalization is having an outward focus. That outward focus is what connects your church to the community and often allows you to better reach them with the gospel. Today we discuss six keys to doing so.
Today’s Listener Question:
I have yet to meet any local clergy save one associate pastor from the multi-site church down the road. No one seems to want to sit and meet for coffee, I’ve also found out that the previous pastor seemed to step on the toes of a number of families in the town who wanted a key to the church and use the facility, some are so influential that our recent outreach during the town’s holiday festivity didn’t gain any support in the paper. What are some ways to open the doors of communication and try to share the love of Christ in a rural community that has grown from 6,000 to over 10,000 in the last decade?
- New pastors should connect with community influencers to learn more about the community and about the church’s reputation in the community.
- It’s always good to have outside eyes help you see things at your church more clearly.
- Church members often don’t realize needs for improvement in the church. They are comfortable.
- The first step toward an outward focus has to be taken by the pastor if revitalization is to happen.
The six keys we cover are:
- Find one or two key people in the community who are unchurched
- Connect with them and use them as guides
- Ask them to secret-shop your church
- Find out the community’s greatest needs
- Mobilize your people to meet the needs
- Be fully aware of reality
Resources mentioned in this episode include:
- Secret Guest Survey
- Replanter Assessment
- Find more resources at the Revitalize & Replant page at ThomRainer.com
Submit Your Question:
Do you have a question about church revitalization or replanting for us to use on the podcast? Visit the podcast page to submit your question. If we use it on the show, you’ll get a copy of Autopsy of a Deceased Church and Reclaiming Glory.