Podcast Episode #301
This is an episode we hope churches won’t need to consult, but unfortunately many of them will. Extramarital affairs by pastors and staff are a reality and when it happens, churches need to be prepared.
Some highlights from today’s episode include:
- Churches don’t prepare for this because churches don’t think they will need to be prepared for this.
- There’s this misunderstanding of grace sometimes where people think it means that anything goes.
- After a staff member affair, one of the most important parts of a severance package is often counseling.
- Churches should consider having outside help to guide them through the aftermath of a staff member affair.
- The goal after any affair should be reconciliation of the marriages.
- After a staff member affair, the congregation often goes through the five stages of grief.
- It’s nearly impossible to pray sincerely for someone and at the same time remain bitter toward them.
The six responses we cover are:
- Terminate with compassion.
- Don’t forget the staff member’s family.
- Be forthright with the congregation.
- Provide resources for reconciliation.
- Don’t forget the pain of the congregation.
- Begin a ministry of prayer for this situation.
Are you getting prepared for the changing ministry landscape? Get your Master of Divinity degree at Midwestern Seminary. The M.Div—Midwestern’s flagship degree program—is their primary track for ministry preparation. At just 81 hours, the Midwestern M.Div offers a complete foundation for full-time ministry leaders, offering everything you need, and nothing you don’t. Join other students in vibrant Kansas City as you train in a unique collaborative environment focused on the local church or study online in your current ministry context. Midwestern Seminary is developing a new culture of discipleship devoted to the local church and committed to taking God’s unchanging Word into a rapidly changing world. Join the movement today.
Find out more at mbts.edu/mdiv.
Vanderbloemen Search Group is the premier pastor search firm dedicated to helping churches and ministries build great teams. They’ve helped hundreds of churches just like yours find their church staff and are uniquely geared to help you discern who God is calling to lead your church.
Find out more about Vanderbloemen Search Group by visiting WeStaffTheChurch.com.