Podcast Episode #237
William Vanderbloemen joins us to talk about the top trends and biggest mistakes he and his company are seeing in pastor searches. Stick around for the end and hear William’s answer to the question “Should a pastor send an unsolicited resume to a church?”
Some highlights from today’s episode include:
- Why does the business world have a better plan for succession than the church?
- It’s easier to find a job when you still have a job.
- The biggest mistake pastors make in the search process is giving up too early.
- The biggest mistake churches make in looking for a new pastor is having the wrong people on the search committee.
- Including negativity when trying to reach a positive never works.
- There’s a huge fear of the unknown that sometimes keeps pastor search committees from making good decisions.
- Pride and fear are the greatest stumbling blocks to a pastor search committee.
- The greater part of instruction is being reminded of that which you already know.
About William Vanderbloemen
William has been able to combine over 15 years of ministry experience as a Senior Pastor with the best practices of Executive Search to provide churches with a unique offering: a deep understanding of local church work with the very best knowledge and practices of professional executive search.
Prior to executive search, William led growth and innovation in churches in North Carolina, Alabama, and Houston. During his time in Alabama, William had the chance to help rebuild and relocate an ailing congregation, and lead them to new levels of growth. At 31, he was elected Senior Pastor for the First Presbyterian Church of Houston, a church of about 5,000 adults and 1,500 children strong. It is Houston’s oldest congregation.
William also has experience as a Manager in Human Resources in a Fortune 200 company, where he focused on integration of corporate culture and succession planning.
All of these experiences have come together with his pastoral work to form a unique gift for helping churches and ministries connect with the right key people.
Midwestern Seminary, located in the heart of the Midwest, is one of the fastest growing seminaries in North America and offers a fantastic array of academic programs, including multiple online and residential options at the undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral levels. Midwestern’s new 81-hour Mdiv program, online program, and doctoral program have all been recognized as some of the most innovative and affordable in the country. There has never been a better time to begin your seminary education. Midwestern Seminary trains leaders ‘For The Church.’
Visit them online at MBTS.edu and start your ministry training today.
Vanderbloemen Search Group is the premier pastor search firm dedicated to helping churches and ministries build great teams. They’ve helped hundreds of churches just like yours find their church staff and are uniquely geared to help you discern who God is calling to lead your church.
Find out more about Vanderbloemen Search Group by visiting WeStaffTheChurch.com.