Podcast Episode #225
We discuss a post by Sam Rainer on what you inherit when you become a pastor at a new church.
Some highlights from today’s episode include:
- Many new pastors move too quickly because they don’t have buy-in from the existing members.
- One of the first things to do as a new pastor in a church is to learn the people.
- Most of the time, you inherit a staff as a new pastor and that can be a difficult transition early on.
- Everything changes when a new pastor comes to a church except the expectations of the people.
- In your first year, listen to stories of those in the church. They’ll tell you expectations the members have.
- Change agents do a lot of listening.
The six things you inherit as a new pastor are:
- You inherit people.
- You inherit a culture.
- You inherit a staff.
- You inherit a schedule.
- You inherit expectations.
- You inherit traditions.
Midwestern Seminary, located in the heart of the Midwest, is one of the fastest growing seminaries in North America and offers a fantastic array of academic programs, including multiple online and residential options at the undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral levels. Midwestern’s new 81-hour Mdiv program, online program, and doctoral program have all been recognized as some of the most innovative and affordable in the country. There has never been a better time to begin your seminary education. Midwestern Seminary trains leaders ‘For The Church.’
Visit them online at MBTS.edu and start your ministry training today.
Vanderbloemen Search Group is the premier pastor search firm dedicated to helping churches and ministries build great teams. They’ve helped hundreds of churches just like yours find their church staff and are uniquely geared to help you discern who God is calling to lead your church.
Find out more about Vanderbloemen Search Group by visiting WeStaffTheChurch.com.